In June 1930, a call was sent to the nine known garden clubs in Maine, inviting members to attend a meeting to consider a garden federation. The meeting was held at the Portland home of Mrs. Walter B. Brockway, President of Longfellow Garden Club, who attended the first annual meeting of NGC in Chicago. The Garden Club Federation of Maine (GCFM) was organized June 3, 1931 at Camden, with eight charter clubs and four more clubs interested. On June 7, 1932, the GCFM affiliated with NGC at their third annual convention in Boston.
1931 – 1936
During the first five years, our GCFM sponsored a Roadside Beautification Meeting at York, first Flower Show Judging Course, first Institute at University of Maine for Beautification of Maine Roadsides, and the first state-wide GCFM Flower Show in Danish Village which won NGC’s purple ribbon award. Tentative division of GCFM into Districts, support of legislation for taxing billboards, three- day Flower Show Judging Course, prize winning exhibits sent to Florida, California, and New York, first teachers send to Audubon Camp in Maine by member clubs, first GCFM Year Book, and adoption of GCFM emblem were achievements of this period.
1936 – 1941
The Executive Board Meeting at Portland was visited by NGC Officers, Director of North Atlantic Region, and five New England Presidents. GCFM affiliated with Women’s Legislative Council of Maine, sponsored Wildlife Restoration Week, and published 6000 Nature Conservation Week booklets for each school classroom in Maine. GCFM saved the O.O. Nylander lifetime collection of minerals, orchids, and other flowers of Aroostook for Maine and promoted building of Nylander Museum at Caribou. A Short Course in Gardening was held at University of Maine. Three legislative bills supported by GCFM were: control of billboards and advertising along highways by requiring license and permit fees; prohibiting display of caged wild animals along highways without permit; and prohibiting removal of Mountain Laurel from habitats. GCFM was presented with a gavel made from an apple tree from the Sir William Phipps ancestral home at Woolwich. GCFM entered NGC’s Medal Award Contest for Cleaner Roadside Stands and Filling Stations and held a third Exhibitors and Judges Flower Show Course. GCFM voted to oppose a Congressional Bill to make Mt. Katahdin a National Park, "It is a Maine Mountain and should ever remain a State Park, unspoiled by commercial exploitation." GCFM Regions (now Districts) were organized with definite boundaries and given names of their rivers. The first five years’ scrapbook was assembled by Mrs. Garcelon and presented to GCFM President Mrs. Woods. A five-year daffodil growing project was started with most of Clubs enrolled. NGC’s Fall Board Meeting was held at Camden, October 1937, by invitation of our GCFM. New England Wildflower Preservation Society published Maine List for Conservation of Wild Flowers, assisted by GCFM Conservation Chairman Mrs. Burton L. Preston. GCFM affiliated with American Planning and Civic Association, National Roadside Council, and National Audubon Society. Historical and Memorial Gardens Project was started to promote compilation of early historic plantings and planting of memorials. The Mid-Year Conference was held in Senate Chamber, January 21, 1938. The GCFM Collect was adopted. A GCFM weekly news column was started in the Portland Sunday Telegram. A Second Short Course in Gardening was given at University of Maine; also, GCFM sponsored pilgrimages to Aroostook areas and to Mt. Desert Island. In May 1939, Mrs. Fred S. Woods of Portland was elected NER Director. Garden clubs donated 24 different kinds of trees to Knox Arboretum at Thomaston. A Friends Hedge of white lilacs was planted at Blaine House, home of Maine’s Governors, May 1939, by Kennebec Valley Garden Club for the GCFM.
1941 – 1946
The GCFM and member clubs participated in statewide projects during World War II period: War Emergency and Defense, Victory Gardens, Food Conservation, Women’s Emergency Farm Service, and Veterans’ Rehabilitation. GCFM’s Hospital Horticultural Service to Veterans’ Hospitals was organized in 1943 although nearby clubs had been working with hospitalized veterans at Togus and Kittery-Portsmouth Hospitals for several years. Christmas Greens for veterans hospitals was started statewide. GCFM approved the action of the Maine Turnpike Authority to eliminate or reduce all unsightly signs for advertising, merchandising, and establishments bordering on the proposed new highway. The third annual Short Course in Gardening was held at University of Maine. The Blue Star Memorial Highway, promoted in tribute to men and women of World Wars I and II, was designated in Maine by GCFM as Route 1 from Fort Kent to Kittery, 546 miles, and memorialized by the Maine Legislature. Plantings and Blue Star Memorial Markers were placed, nine from 1950 to 1959. GCFM saved Capitol Park from encroachment of Federal and State buildings.
1946 – 1951
The first Accredited Flower Show Judging School with a nationally accredited lecturer was held in 1946. The first Garden Federation Day for Farm and Home Week guests was held at University of Maine. GCFM’s second Year Book was published. GCFM sent seeds to Britain and Seeds for Peace. Garden Clubs made a statewide Elm Tree census for State Forestry Service. GCFM contributed $100 to the NGC project to preserve a Redwood Grove in California. A second Accredited Flower Show Judging School was held in 1947. The Lilac Living Memorial at Togus was started by GCFM in 1949, directed by Mrs. Edward F. Merrill; the planting of 2000 purple and white lilacs around the new forty-acre National Cemetery, with a background of white pines, continued as project for ten years and was taken over by the U.S. Government on July 12, 1957. GCFM contributed Mrs. Ellery Wing’s chapter "Early Gardening in the District of Maine" to Early American Garden Traditions, a book compiled by NGC President Mrs. Elvenia B. Slosson. GCFM held State Park Days throughout Maine. "More Roadside Picnic Areas," a bill sponsored by the GCFM Roadside Improvement Committee, was passed. GCFM’s Plant Conservation List for Maine was voted the official list, June 1951, following commendation by the State Legislature. GCFM entertained NER at Poland Springs in 1950. GCFM’s first scholarships were given to Audubon Camp. U.S. Navy Achievement Certificate was awarded the GCFM.
1951 – 1956
GCFM continued support of legislation for control of billboards, auto dumps, and pollution of rivers and waters. Courses III, IV, and V for Flower Show Schools were given. Nature Trails in state parks were established and marked by Garden Clubs at Presque Isle, Reid Park, Sebago, and Mt. Blue. GCFM sponsored Litterbug and Keep Maine Green projects in keeping with NGC. Honored with Life Memberships in NGC were: Mrs. A.R. Benedict, 1939, from Garden Club Friends; Mrs. Edward F. Merrill, 1945, from GCFM; Mrs. William E. Wing, 1948, from Longfellow Garden Club; and Mrs. William O. Armitage, 1955, as personal contribution to membership drive. The 250th scholarship recipient was sent to Audubon Camp by individual garden and nature clubs. Donations were made to the Permanent Home Fund, many memorial trees planted, tree farms started near schools by garden clubs, preservation of Natural Resources promoted; GCFM voted to urge establishment of State Department of Conservation, worked for increased appropriations for State House Park and Forestry Department, and saved the State House southern lawn from destruction as parking area. Judges Council was organized. NGC Awards and Citations went to Mrs. William E. Wing for starting the project of Historical and Memorial Gardens which was adopted by NGC; to Mrs. Edward F. Merrill for the Lilac Memorial Hedge at Togus; and to Mrs. John W. Corning for lifetime work for protection of birds.
1956 – 1961
Courses I, II, II, Series II, Flower Show Schools, were given. The GCFM Newsletter was revived with Mrs. Harrie B. Coe again Editor. The Silver Anniversary was celebrated June 1956, with a 25th Anniversary Year Book. Funds were contributed for a landscaped area of the Girls’ New Dormitory, University of Maine, in appreciation of University’s interest in our GCFM. GCFM entertained NER at Poland Springs, 1956. Augusta Nature Club initiated re-establishment of the State House Museum. Through strong support by GCFM, the restoration bill was introduced and passed in 1957; the restored museum was dedicated March 15, 1961, with GCFM President Mrs. Socec as one of the principal speakers. Member clubs worked diligently to assist in Dutch Elm Disease control. Over 2000 flowering crabapple trees were planted by garden clubs and individuals in the first year of new statewide project. GCFM sponsored "Seeds to Gardens to Flower Show" by veterans at Togus for the third successive year. GCFM influence was credited with passage of a bill in 1959 to control billboards on the new interstate highway for two years. During the 1961 legislature GCFM worked equally as hard for bill for permanent control. GCFM promoted many projects for "Friendship through Gardening" and "World Gardening." Financial grants from Sears-Roebuck made possible a Civic Beautification Contest for all clubs in 1960 – 1961. Organized in 1957, the Maine Conservation School at Bryant Pond received more than 60 scholarships and aid from the GCFM and member clubs. NGC Awards and Citations received by the GCFM were for the 100% contribution to the Permanent Home and for sponsoring the greatest number of Junior Clubs (69 Senior Clubs – 134 Junior Clubs). The GCFM received citations from the Veterans Administration for hospital service. Sixty-nine clubs with 4454 members and 152 Junior Clubs with 2500 members held sixty summer flower shows, open house and garden days, 12 winter shows, and the first two Junior Standard Flower Shows in 1960. NGC gave awards to member clubs for flower shows, home and garden tours, civic projects, conservation education, and a sanctuary. Mrs. Socec’s legacy to the GCFM was publication of the first Handbook in 1961, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the GCFM. Mrs. Edmund M. deK. Socec was elected NER Director of NGC in May 1961.
1961 – 1963
Mrs. Daniel R. Mann, the GCFM’s 17th President, reorganized the list of GCFM Chairmen, incorporating Roadside Development under Civic Development. Hospital Service was designated as Garden Therapy, Military and Civilian. Mrs. Mann instituted printed reports by all Officers, District Chairmen, and Committee Chairmen for distribution at the Annual Meetings. Mrs. Mann was appointed by Governor Reed to the "Keep Maine Scenic Committee" and subsequently became its Recording Secretary. "Operation Pink Cloud" was started under the auspices of the Civic Development Committee of the Kittery Garden Club and received the Sears, Roebuck & Company Award. This is a continuing project. She was appointed a member of NGC Nominating Committee and received a NGC Award for the Litter Coloring Contest. Mrs. Mann participated in the dedications of the Mariner’s Memorial Park at Deer Isle and Zorach Fountain in Bath, both of which were projects of local clubs. Mrs. Mann’s legacy to the GCFM was a NGC Board of Directors pin to be passed on to each incoming President. She is the author of "Mosses, the Flowerless Ones."
1963 – 1965
Mrs. Bernard F. Harris chose "Unity" as the theme of her administration. During this term Junior Nature Awards were initiated. The Brookton Memorial School Bell, dedicated to Unorganized Territory Schools, was located on the State House grounds with shrubbery plantings provided by the GCFM. Tri-Town Garden Club became Maine’s first 100% subscriber to The National Gardener. A film entitled "Heritage of Splendor" was purchased for the use of the Keep Maine Scenic Committee. A donation was made toward plantings around the Permanent Home in St. Louis in honor of past NER Director Mrs. Edmund M. deK. Socec. The GCFM supported legislation providing for a State Cemetery for veterans and further supported conservation plans for the Allagash region. A copy of the music to accompany the Gardener’s Collect was presented to the GCFM by the composer, Mrs. Orrin Dolley. Mrs. Bertha Welch, retiring Publicity Chairman, was honored at the Fall Conference for her many years of dedication to the GCFM. A Blue Star Memorial Highway marker was dedicated in Thomaston at the foot of Knox Mansion Hill. GCFM had three active High School Gardener groups and 32 Junior Clubs. During a post-convention tour to Nova Scotia, Maine became the first GCFM to visit a foreign affiliate. Mrs. Harris’ legacy was a Traveling Trophy for Horticultural Achievement to be awarded to the club in the GCFM having accomplished the most notable work in horticulture during the preceding two years. The trophy was first awarded in 1965 at the Annual Meeting in Bar Harbor, the winner the Foreside Garden Club of Falmouth.
1965 – 1967
Mrs. James G. Utterback’s theme was "Live, Learn, and Grow," her project Beautification of Rural Mailboxes. The Advantages of Being Affiliated with the Garden Club (GCFM) of Maine was prepared and distributed. Mrs. Utterback was a panelist on the Governor’s Conference on Natural Beauty in 1966. The NGC Silver Seal was awarded to Senator Edmund S. Muskie at NGC’s Annual Convention in 1967 for his "Constant and Meritorious Work on Support of Pollution Control Legislation." The GCFM voted $1000 to be used for landscaping at the proposed "Maine Veterans’ Memorial Cemetery," with the provision that special attention be given to the Meditation Center. The GCFM had the privilege of entertaining Mrs. Lucile Mauntel, NGC President, at their 35th Annual Convention in Portland. The Green Handbook was revised and brought up to date. Representative Ethel B. Baker sponsored a Resolve establishing Route 1-A, starting at the junction of Routes 1-A and 1 at Stockton Springs and extending via Bangor and Brewer to the junction of Routes 1-A and 1 in Ellsworth, to be designated as a Blue Star Memorial Highway. Two Blue Star Markers were added, bringing the total to 12; one at Glen Cove, presented by the local club, and the other at Dorothea Dix Park in Hampden by Mrs. Utterback as her legacy to the GCFM.
1967 – 1969
Mrs. Laurence C. Andrew’s theme was "Come, Let us Garden Together." A Guide to Conserving Wildflowers of Maine, project of GCFM in cooperation with the Josselyn Botanical Society, was published by the State Department of Education. GCFM received a NGC award for the newly compiled Junior Gardener’s Handbook. A Citation from "Keep Maine Scenic Committee" to the "Litter Lady of Maine" recognized outstanding service of GCFM Anti-Litter Chairman Mrs. Henry C. Kerber. Committee Day was inaugurated. GCFM took a strong stand against proposed plans of the "Capitol Planning Commission" to locate office buildings and a restaurant in Capitol Park in Augusta. The plan was abandoned, and an alternate plan placed proposed structures outside the park. The Newsletter was enlarged to a twelve-page publication. GCFM was instrumental in the passage of "An Act Relating to Outdoor Advertising." The GCFM lost two past Presidents: Mrs. John Parker and Mrs. E. Stewart Orbeton, and its good friend Edward Johnson, State Horticulturist and Chairman of Horticulture for GCFM. A NGC Scholarship of $1000 was awarded a senior at the University of Maine for post-graduate study in wildlife management. Mrs. Andrew’s legacy to the GCFM was a silver pin of the GCFM seal to be passed on to each incoming President. Mrs. Andrew was elected NER Director in May 1969.
1969 – 1971
Mrs. James L. Pettit, adopting the theme, "Conserve, Preserve, Deserve!" stressed Environmental Improvement at all meetings. GCFM supported passage of the Highrise Billboard Legislation of 1971. The NER Meeting was held at Ogunquit in 1969 and the NER Symposium at Portland in 1970. Cumberland Garden Club received the third highest NGC Award for the Sears’ Civic Beautification Program. "People and their Environment," a NGC project to place teacher curriculum guides in every school, was adopted. The first project of the newly authorized Ways and Means Committee was preparation of tiles bearing the GCFM Seal. A Blue Star Memorial Highway marker was dedicated at Newcastle, 1969. Mrs. Maxwell Steel, NGC Acting President, attended the Bangor Convention, June 1970, where a check for $1000 was presented to Maine Veterans Service. The area surrounding Brookton School Bell on State Capitol grounds was re-landscaped as GCFM’s project for Maine’s Sesquicentennial. There was an increase in the number of judges, flower shows, and garden tours. The Visiting Gardens and Speakers Lists were revised and distributed. An imaginative Junior Gardening concept won TLC’s of Camden a NGC Award. GCFM’s 40th birthday was held in Bar Harbor, June 1971, with Mrs. William Hedley, Third Vice-President of NGC, in attendance. Endorsement was given to co-host 1974 National Convention at Boston. Mrs. Pettit was appointed Assistant Chairman for Maine by Mrs. Norman G. Collard, Convention Chairman. Mrs. Pettit’s legacy to GCFM was an American flag dedicated and presented at the 1971 June Convention. Mrs. Pettit was elected as NER Director 1975 – 1977.
1971 – 1973
Mrs. Stephanie A. Smith adopted the theme "Today’s Beautification is Tomorrow’s Heritage." Publishing of the Newsletter, perfected through direct mailing to all members, means it is now a working tool of GCFM. A special Maine Legislature Resolve designated U.S. 2 and State 3 as Blue Star Memorial Highways, adding 365.4 miles, totaling 952; five new markers were placed. Sixty-nine rare trees from Arnold Arboretum in Boston commemorated their Centennial. The first State Flower Show in 40 years was held in conjunction with the 41st Annual Meeting, Westbrook College. Mrs. Maxwell W. Steel, NGC President, presented 1972 NGC awards: Lucile Droege Mauntel Conservation Certificate; Blue Rosette; and Purple Rosette. The first NER Silver Traveling Trophy (The National Gardener) was received in 1972. Winter Harbor and Tri-Town were 100% Clubs. The Bernice Kerber Award for Litter-Control, GCFM Conservation Award, and Stephanie Ann Smith Garden Therapy-Civilian Award were established. There were nineteen newly organized Junior Clubs, one at the Passamaquoddy Indian School. Four hundred sixty-one PATE volumes were distributed with St. Croix placing guides in each of its 98 schools. The second edition of the GCFM Handbook was distributed at 1973 Bethel Convention. In 1971 Flower Show School Course V concluded the GCFM-sponsored series. Saco District sponsored Course I, May 1973. A new garden club was organized in Milbridge. 1973 NGC Awards included: Junior Gardeners Morrah Horticulture Achievement; Junior Conservation Certificate, and Garden Therapy Certificate. Mrs. Smith was elected a member of NGC Nominating Committee 1973-75 and Chairman of the 1974 NGC Post-Convention New England Tour. Mrs. Smith’s legacy was the silver tray Garden Therapy Trophy.
1973 – 1974
Mrs. Philip V. Corey (Lillian) chose as her theme "Keep Maine Beautiful." In 1973 Courses I and II of the Flower Show School, sponsored by the Saco District, were held at Cape Elizabeth. Course III followed in April 1974. The GCFM sponsored a lecture on flower arranging by George W. Smith, one of the foremost flower arrangers from England. In February 1974, 296 miles on routes 257 and 201 were designated Blue Star Memorial Highways, and markers were dedicated at Skowhegan, Newport, Hallowell, and East Millinocket. The GCFM joined the NER as co-host for the NGC Convention held in Boston, MA, May 1974. At the Convention the Maine Forest Council and the Bangor Garden Club were responsible for fifty gavel sets presented to the top Officers of all the State Federations, as a gift from Maine. Mrs. Corey appointed the first Landscape Design and Historic Preservation Chairmen to the GCFM, and thirty new Junior Garden Clubs were formed. New garden clubs were organized at Eastbrook and Walnut Hill. The Bangor Airport Clinic, a garden therapy program under the sponsorship of the Bangor and Sebasticook Garden Clubs, was started. In 1974 National Award 14 (4), State Publication Certificate of Merit, was received for the GCFM Handbook.
1974 – 1975
Mrs. Philip C. (Lori) Spinney’s theme: "Let Us Grow – In Knowledge, In Membership, In Friendship and In Our Gardens." A Blue Star Marker purchased by the Danforth Garden Club was dedicated at Weston on Route 1, July 7, 1974. In September, Course IV of the Flower Show School was held in the Saco District. "History, Heritage, & Horticulture" was the theme for a State Flower Show held at the Maine Mall in Portland, earning $1000 for the GCFM bank balance. The NGC project "People and Their Environment" was completed in the St. Croix District, with all appropriate volumes presented to each of the 98 schools. The Garden Therapy project, the Bangor Airport Clinic, continued under the sponsorship of the Bangor and Sebasticook Garden Clubs. NGC Awards for 1974 included: #1-A, Kellogg Medal for Civic Achievement to the Bar Harbor Garden Club for the "Wild Gardens of Acadia" within Acadia National Park; #6-1A Mauntel Conservation Certificate to the Augusta Nature Club for the Augusta Nature Center; and #49, Elsie M. Cook Landscape Design Award to Longfellow Garden Club for the Sculpture Garden at Portland School of Art. Mrs. Spinney’s legacy was the first contribution to the GCFM’s Horticulture Scholarship Fund.
1975 - 1977
Mrs. Drew Miller (Clee) used as her theme "Our Goals are Great - PARTICIPATE." The Nation's Bicentennial celebration occurred during this term. GCFM PARTICIPATION therein included presentation of two crystal compotes, designed exclusively for NGC, one to the Maine State Museum, one to Governor James Longley and a red oak in the Veteran's Cemetery in Augusta. In January 1976, a State Life Membership was instituted, monies from which are to be used entirely for funding of the GCFM scholarship to be given annually to a Maine Junior, Senior, or Graduate student majoring in horticulture. NGC sponsored an Environmental Workshop at Evergreen Valley, September 1975. Dues were increased to $1 per member in June 1977. The first Landscape Design Study Course was offered in Maine in 1976, Course II held in 1977. The NER Symposium was held in Portland July 1976, and a combined Fall Conference and NER meeting was held, attended by NGC President Mrs. Vernon Conner. Seven NGC Awards were received by GCFM for 1975-77, most notable being an individual award for Mrs. Roland Salsbury and a $500 Sears Civic Concern Award for the Mt. Blue Garden Club. GCFM PARTICIPATED effectively in helping pass Maine's Returnable Container Bill in 1976. Mrs. Miller's legacy was a contribution to the GCFM Scholarship Fund.
1977 - 1979
Mrs. Harry M. Sloan (Reba) chose as her theme, "Our futures are more important than ourselves." The completion of the first series of Landscape Design Study Courses in Maine; the establishment of a Landscape Design Critics Council which sponsored these schools; the successful passage of Returnable Bottle Legislation; the Billboard Removal Program; all were accomplished during this administration. The first annual scholarship was awarded in 1978 and a deserving recipient chosen for 1979. We shared in the Environmental Protection Agency for Land Preservation Award given to the NER. Maine acquired 1400 acres of Great Wass Island. We have vigorously supported the viewpoint of former Governor Longley regarding Dickey Lincoln. "We do not have the right in this generation to commit our valuable wilderness to a project that will only temporarily stimulate the economy." This President urged a re-evaluation of our former policies and attempted to streamline board meetings, dispensing with non-essentials. She said, "We must be ever aware of the dignity of the office, and that our members are individual adults who give freely of their time and talents. Let us not expect nor approve duplication in wasteful paper work. Let us all strive to make service to the GCFM the joyous privilege I have found it to be." Her legacy was the establishment of and annual contribution to the Reba D. Sloan Adult Education Fund: a fund of voluntary contributions to help finance the costly Flower Show Schools and Landscape Design Study Courses. We must lead into the future, the gardeners, flower arrangers, horticulturists, and landscapers who are needed to keep our world beautiful and healthy.
1979 - 1981
Mrs. Jerome C. Goff (Nell) used the theme: "GET GROWING!" Membership was 4170: 63 Clubs. St. Croix Valley Garden Club became federated. GCFM participated in NGC’s Energy, Environment, Education which prompted "Save A Kilowatt" and "Share the Way" contests. Family camping workshops were initiated at Allagash, site of Proposed Dickey-Lincoln Dam and at the Great Heath. In the "Save the Eagle" project, commemorative stamps were collected and eagle design stationery sold. One acre was purchased for the Eagle Valley Environmentalists’ Sanctuary. Landscape Design Critics Council sponsored two LD schools. 350 flowering crabs were planted under "Operation Pink Cloud." The GCFM hosted the NER Symposium and a Holiday Tea at Blaine Mansion. A scholarship of $500 was awarded. $1400 was contributed to World Gardening. Five Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers were repaired or replaced; one from St. Croix District was presented to the VA for the Belgrade Cemetery access road. The Newsletter was reorganized. GCFM participated in the first NER Flower Show at Worcester, MA and in the NGC Exhibition 50, Washington, DC. NGC awards received included: Sears Environmental Leadership Medal; Red and Green Rosette and Purple Rosettes for flower shows; Garden Club of the Air Award; Plant Anniversary Trees; Smokey Bear Senior Special; and Mauntel Certificate for Conservation. Fall Conferences were held at Calumet Club, Augusta. Annual Conventions were held at Sebasco Estates, 1980; in 1981, the 50th Anniversary Meeting at Bangor featured a sketch "This is Your Life" by Mrs. Robert Washburn and a raffle of a GCFM quilt designed by members. The legacy was a silver traveling trophy for Horticulture Education.
1981 – 1983
Mrs. Granville I. Smith (Mary Lou) chose "APPRECIATE" for her theme. Membership: 64 Clubs, 4236 members. GCFM organized the first Leadership Conference for members and hosted the NER Annual Meeting in Ogunquit, with largest attendance to date. The Newsletter was reorganized, with third class mailing permit, eliminating the yearly audit by the Post Office. A quarterly letter was sent to Board Members and Club Presidents. The GCFM Bylaws and Handbook were completely revised and reprinted. The Scholarship was increased to $1000. GCFM supplied another "Acre for an Eagle." $200 was donated for the Maine Lobsterman statue in Washington, DC. GCFM convinced the Governor to vote against the ‘jogging course" in Capitol Park. A new series of Flower Show Schools was started. GCFM dedicated the "Christine Dunlap Greenhouse" at Togus December 14, 1982. Cumberland Garden Club was the first in NGC to install a By-Way Marker. GCFM dedicated the Blue Star Memorial Marker at the Maine Veterans’ Cemetery, donated by St. Croix District. The first Operation Wildflower workshop was held at Baxter State Park. GCFM took a stand against peat mining on our Great Heath and donated to the new Pine Tree State Arboretum in Augusta. GCFM celebrated fifty years with NGC. NGC President Mrs. Francis A. Fink attended the Annual Convention at USM, Gorham in 1982, and Mrs. Lyle Johnsrud attended the 1983 Annual Convention at Maine Maritime Academy in Castine. Several NGC Awards were received by clubs and members during this administration. Mrs. Smith was elected NER Director for 1985-1987.
1983 – 1985
Mrs. Ambrose A. (Marge) Peterson, Jr.’s theme "HAPPY GARDENING" was the spirit she wanted to get across to GCFM members. Horticulture was stressed both in the large number of Standard Flower Shows (13 in 1983 and 18 in 1984, plus a State Flower Show in Presque Isle) and in the Fall Conference programs. The number of accredited Flower Show Judges grew to 51. In 1984, Maine won two NER awards for having the largest increase in membership, and a special award for this was also received from NGC. The last of the State’s billboards was removed, and small, uniform directional signs began showing up on road sides. Mrs. Peterson tried to get garden clubs throughout the State to combine their efforts to keep roadside flea markets from becoming eyesores. When NGC asked for the GCFM emblem to be creatively replicated, a contest was held to find the best one. Maine also received honor in the NER for the largest number of paid subscriptions to The National Gardener. Mrs. Peterson represented the GCFM at the inauguration of NGC’s first international garden club, the St. Croix Valley International Garden Club, at St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada. To encourage members to show their colors, logo jewelry in charms and pins was presented for sale to members. Maine participated in the NGC Campaign to "Save the Lady," the Statue of Liberty, by contributing funds to this cause. Two scholarships were presented to students in horticulture-related subjects in the amounts to $1000 and $750.
1985 – 1987
Mrs. Bernard A. Dennison (Shirley) chose as her theme "WORKING FOR THE ULTIMATE – TOGETHER." Leadership workshops were held each August as part of the GCFM Board Meeting to support and train club officers and GCFM and club committee chairmen. The "Hazardous Waste Awareness Conference" held in Washington, DC, in September 1985 led to Maine hosting the NER Conference on the same subject in conjunction with the GCFM Annual Convention held at Sebasco Estates in June 1986. The first Gardening Study Course for Maine was started in 1986; Landscape Design Study Course, Series III, also began in 1986. The GCFM purchased two varieties of wildflower seeds and distributed them to every club for dispersal in the spring of 1986. In May 1987, a Wildflower Workshop was held in Bar Harbor. The National Park Service honored the Bar Harbor Garden Club for its devoted attention to the care of the Wild Gardens of Acadia on the 25th anniversary of the Garden in June 1986. Castine Garden Club rejoined the GCFM and the Lakeside Garden Club of Harrison joined the GCFM. $1000 scholarships were awarded in both years, and Mrs. Dennison established the High School Speech and Essay Awards, criteria based on the NGC Speech and Essay Contests, and first and second place cash awards in both categories to be awarded annually. The money was to be donated by Mrs. Dennison.
1987 – 1989
Mrs. Philip R. (Gloria) Burrill’s theme "In Harmony with Our Environment" was carried out by establishing a tree growing program; giving new environmental awards; distributing "Keep in Green" tapes to each District; giving workshops on improving and protecting our environment; and purchasing a pine tree for Pine Tree State Arboretum honoring past governors. Capitol Park, Augusta, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, preserving it as a park for generations to come. The Maine Legislature enacted a bill creating the first week of June as Garden Week. GCFM hosted the NER Annual Meeting and the NER Symposium both in 1988 in Portland. Two GCFM Horticulture Scholarships were awarded: $1000, Craig McLean, 1988; $1500, Laurie Mattila, 1989. Alison C. Dibble was the recipient of the $3500 NGC Scholarship, 1989. NGC Awards for 1988 were: GCFM Membership Extension Certificate for increasing membership and Flower Show Achievement to Walnut Hill Garden Club; 1989: GCFM first place in NGC Environmental Poster Contest with "It’s Time to Erase Our Mistakes." The Gardening Study Courses resulted in six accredited Gardening Consultants. GCFM became incorporated May 12, 1989. New clubs joined bringing membership to 65 clubs, over 4000 members. A By-Way Marker was set at the Bangor Veterans’ Memorial Bridge. Two NGC Presidents attended GCFM Conventions: Mrs. Carroll O. Griffin, 1988, Portland; Mrs. C. Manning Smith, 1989, Ellsworth. GCFM entered the State Horticulture and Flower Show in Saco. GCFM supported NGC’s "Let’s Get Growing" and NER’s "Germination New Generations." A resolution of nine environmental concerns was sent to state and national legislators and NGC. The NGC International Flower Show, Rochester, NY, had seven GCFM entrants, and two judges were GCFM members. The Gloria Bryson Burrill Tree Planting Award was established and monies for the award donated by Mrs. Burrill.
1989 – 1991
Janet L. Meryweather’s theme "AWARENESS" was involvement for the 65 clubs, 4000 strong. It was more than just planting and cultivating, but sowing seeds of knowledge planted and cultivated through learning of the needs around us and concerns of our plant Earth. Awareness was heightened by: GCFM hosting Solid Waste Management Conference, Bangor, "Let it begin with you and me in ME;" co-sponsoring Endangered Plant Conservation Conference, Portland; holding three-day Operation Wildflower Workshop including China Lake and Sidney Bog field trips; supporting Maine’s Critical Areas Program; completing revisions of the Conservation List of Wild Plants; becoming a Benefactor by donating $1001 to NGC’s Friendship Garden, dedicated in 1991 at the National Arboretum, Washington, DC; learning different points of view from NGC/Shell Oil sponsored conference, Arkansas, "Planet Earth: Whose Garden is it Anyway?"; and by publishing articles in the Newsletter which, in keeping with environmental concerns, switched to recycled paper. GCFM participated in two Maine Horticulture Shows, Portland and sponsored Standard Flower Shows to inform the public about garden clubs--what we do for our earth, environment, and community. Three courses were given: Flower Show School, Gardening Study, and Landscape Design Study. In 1990 the NGC $3500 Scholarship and two GCFM $1500 scholarships were awarded. The Massachusetts Horticultural Society presented Silver Medals to Janet Tenbroeck and Betty Thorndick for decades of dedication to Wild Gardens of Acadia, containing over 500 species of plants, trees, and shrubs indigenous to Mt. Desert Island. The residual $6000 Military Garden Therapy Fund was given for use at Maine Veterans’ Cemetery. NGC President Violet Dawson attended 1991 Diamond Jubilee Convention, Presque Isle. Addison Saunders designed the President’s pin of white, rose, green, yellow gold, replicating the GCFM logo, set with brilliant cut, deep green, Maine tourmaline from Mt. Micah, site of the first find in North America by Elizah Hamlin, brother of Hannibal, and Ezekial Homes. The gem is a gift of Mrs. Steen L. Meryweather.
1991 – 1993
Nancy H. Atwell chose as her theme "Renewal" which involved beginning a thorough revision of the GCFM Handbook. "Renewal" also involved reaching out to new members through publicity in the Maine Sunday Telegram and on the most listened to radio gardening show in southern Maine. The GCFM printed and distributed 60,000 copies of A Guide for Conserving Wild Plants of Maine. An Environmental Awareness Conference "Energy, Economics, and the Environment: Challenges and Choices for a Better World" on alternative energy sources was held in Portland in 1992. The Togus Fund was used for landscaping part of the Veterans’ Cemetery in Augusta. Conventions were held at Sebasco Estates in 1992 and Bangor Motor Inn in 1993. Susan Dumaine spoke at Fall Conference 1991 and Suteko Stockwell in 1992. Maine continued to have NGC Scholarship winners: Alison Coan Dibble in 1992 and Jon Connolly in 1993. Dr. Currier McEwen won the NGC Helen S. Hull Award for Literary Horticulture in 1992. The GCFM participated in NGC projects: Bloomin’ Good, a recipe book; the Ameriflora Gazebos; and "Discovery, "the floral exhibition in Washington, DC in 1992. The GCFM continued to hold Landscape Design School in Freeport, Gardening Study School in Orono, and Flower Show School in Portland. In response to a letter from the GCFM Board of Directors, L. L. Bean re-thought its sale of Sea Lavender wreaths and changed the material to Caspia rather than the endangered Sea Lavender. Mrs. Atwell was elected NER Director for 1995-1997.
1993 – 1995
Linda M. Frinsko’s theme, "As Maine Grows," focused on a public relations effort to promote GCFM, to increase membership, to generate enthusiasm for gardening, to highlight the talents and skills of Maine experts, and to maintain the vitality of GCFM. GCFM hosted an NER Symposium, July 1993, and the NER Annual Meeting, September 1993. The Flower Show School Series was completed, and GCFM has six new accredited judges and four student judges. A cooperative effort was begun with the Maine Forest Service to improve the Smokey the Bear Content; Governor King presented the certificates at the Blaine House. The National Tree Trust supplied 396 trees to be planted on public lands as part of the GCFM’s PETALS grants to assist in their community projects. Two Standard Flower Shows, "The Beauty of Maine" and "Back to the Future", were presented at the Bangor Garden Show, Bangor Civic Center. A membership outreach display was presented at the Bangor Mall in conjunction with the Maine Young Farms Agricultural Show. Jon Connolly received the NGC Scholarship in 1994, and Jeffrey Sawyer received an NGC Scholarship in 1995. Forty-two clubs sent donations to the Seed Court Garden in Austin, TX. This project was a wildflower garden developed and planted by NGC and a project of NGC President Eleanor Yates. President Yates and NER Director Virginia Kenney attended the 1994 GCFM Portland Convention. GCFM Award of Honor winners were Marian Hosmer in 1994 and Elsie Viles in 1995. Membership levels reached 3602. All GCFM Fall Conference and Convention speakers were from Maine.
1995 – 1997
Mrs. Brian Cianchette (Sonia) chose as her theme "Gardening through Education." All Conventions featured horticulture, landscaping, and flower arranging programs. Two new garden clubs joined, Montville Area Country Gardeners and Ossipee Meadows Garden Club, bringing total clubs to 57 and membership over 3600. GCFM is one of the state organizations in New England that posted the most new members. The Newsletter added four new pages. The first Gardening Consultants Council in New England was organized in 1996. Landscape Design Section V, Course II was presented in 1996 and Course III in 1997. The Sixty-fifth Annual Convention was held at the Sunday River Ski Resort in Bethel. NGC President Mrs. John M. Michie, Jr., NER Director Nancy Atwell, and NGC Parliamentarian Phyllis Wood, were the honored guests. Joseph McBreen received the GCFM scholarship, and Jeffrey Sawyer was awarded a NGC scholarship. A second-hand jewelry sale netted over $500 for the Scholarship Fund. For the "Millions of Trees" program, the Maine Department of Transportation planted or provided for planting 5000 seedlings in memory of children who lost their lives in the Oklahoma bombing. The Phyllis C. Lewis Traveling Award was established for the best program for children. The GCFM sea lavender project was listed in the Shell Oil magazine as one of the outstanding PETALS projects. The Maine Department of Forestry gave a grant of $3000 for proposed plantings at the Augusta Civic Center. Winners of the Smokey the Bear and Woodsy Owl contest were honored by Governor King, Maine Forest Service, and GCFM at the Blaine House. The Sixty-sixth Annual Convention was held at the Shiretown Inn in Houlton. NER Director Jeanne-Marie Parkes was the honored guest. Joseph Patrick McBreen was honored as the 1997 GCFM and NGC scholarship winner and presented members and guests with seedlings of red pine, spruce, and balsam fir.
1997 – 1999
Susan A. Xirinachs’ administration encouraged members to "Return to their Roots," her state theme. Members were encouraged to look back at the history of their clubs, examine all of the work that had been accomplished, make new members aware of their clubs’ background, and continue to support projects started by their predecessors. This theme had a two-fold message. The second part was meant to have members share heirloom seeds--with other garden club members--through club projects. It was a six year project of the NGC to help earn money to refurbish a portion of the National Botanical Garden, and the grounds in front of it. Maine had a special pin to sell fort this fund-raiser – a butterfly pin with Maine and National Garden Project on it. The profits allowed Maine to have two pavers placed in the butterfly garden. Each club member contributed 50 cents – the result was a 95% participation for this state. October 1997 was the groundbreaking for the expansion of the National headquarters in St. Louis, MO. PETALS was a major focus of this administration. Maine received a $1000 state grant to work on a children's room project at the Bangor Garden Show. During this administration, Maine had two national scholarship winners. Each year there were five flower shows, including one at the Bangor Garden Show. Our National President, Barbara Barnette, attended our Fall Conference in 1997. The Annual Convention in 1999 had some memorable moments. Several past presidents and members presented the evening entertainment with skits that took members "Back to their Roots" from material provided by club histories from the 1940’s and ‘50’s. This theme began and ended this president’s term of office. Youth participation in garden clubs was encouraged. To this end, this president established the Thompson-Lyford Youth Award in memory of her two grandmothers and in honor of her mother and aunt, all who were former presidents of the Brewer Garden and Bird Club.
1999 – 2001
Carol Ann French chose as her theme "Flower Power 2000 – a Harvest of Harmony". Her "2000 Books/2000 Years project" gave books on gardening, nature, conservation, and related topic to libraries, schools, day care centers, and hospitals for the education of children of all ages throughout the state. This project was a grass roots effort and will leave a lasting legacy for Maine’s children. During her term, Saco District divided, increasing the number of districts in Maine to seven. Stroudwater and Piscataqua Districts were created. Maine has 58 clubs and 3566 members. Maine purchased its second paver for the National Garden Project. Thirteen clubs received national awards. In addition, the state received a PETALS grant. The state PETALS project treated children to their own room at the Bangor Flower and Garden Show. The room titled "The Rain Forest and ME" was an educational wonderland for exploration and hands-on experience. In 1999-2000 Maine had a National winner and runner-up in the Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl Poster Contest. Many clubs participated in Habitat for Humanity Projects. Maine had the highest total club participation in the NER Bird & Butterfly Project. In 1999, Maine hosted both a New England Regional Symposium and a New England Region annual meeting. NGC President Dean Day Smith attended the 1999 Fall Conference. Maine took part in "2000-Time In Bloom", the NGC Standard Flower Show in San Diego. From planners, to chairmen, to designers, Maine was involved. Maine received many ribbons in both design and horticulture, including a First Place Award in the Petite Class.
2001 – 2003
Dr. Claire Hunt’s chosen theme, "Garden Clubs – Reaching Out" focused upon expanding the horizons of the garden clubs. Several activities fostered this including: an Orientation meeting for Club Presidents, re-establishing the Public Relations/Publicity Committee, and urging clubs to list a contact number and welcome the public to club activities and meetings. A web site was designed for the Federation and open to clubs to participate. To applaud state resources, speakers included representatives from the Pine Tree Arboretum, Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, and the Lyle Littlefield Gardens. The President’s Project complimented this theme with the donation of almost 1500 Horticulture related books to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens Library. GCFM was represented in the Bangor and Portland Flower Shows, at the State House in Augusta, and at county fairs. State Life Member membership was increased by 25% of active members. Special State Life Members-only events were staged and State Life Members and NGC life members recognized at GCFM meetings. The Fall Conference 2001 in Augusta proved an unqualified success in attendance (285). Present was NGC President Lois Shuster. Federation members donated $600 for the Firemen of New York Station House #81 as part of 9-11 relief. The introduction of a large screen to provide every member of the audience a clear view at Fall Conference was instituted in 2002. The Convention in 2002 was held at the University of Maine Presque Isle. The Annual Meeting 2003 was held in Boothbay Harbor at the Spruce Point Inn. The highlight of this convention was "A Fantastic Journey" and featured an Oriental theme. There was considerable growth in the Youth Program participation, the Landscape Design and Gardening Study Schools, as well as an increased number of Flower Shows. Scholarships ($3000 each year) were awarded. One winner was also awarded an additional $3500 from the NGC. The GCFM was the recipient of the NER’s Evelyn Cole Traveling Tray and the Helen Champlin Bowl in 2002. Petal Grants from Shell Oil were received both years by member clubs and the GCFM.
2003 – 2005
Wendy E. Cote’ chose Tenants of the Land for her theme and her President’s Project: Support Local Land Trusts. Membership: 51 clubs in seven Districts, 3066 members. NGC Schools sponsored were: Gardening Study, Landscape Design Study, and Environmental Studies (the first Environmental School in Maine.) Three Flower Shows were held in 2004, and two Flower Shows were held in 2005. The 2004 State Convention, Garden Melodies, was held by Penobscot District at the Black Bear Inn, Orono, June 17-19. Judges’ Council presented a design panel, and Lois Berg Stack presented a program on Proven Winners for 2004. Field trips included Rogers Farm, the Orono Bog Board walk, the Lyle Littlefield Gardens, and Sprague’s Nursery. The 2005 State Convention, Sea Breezes, was held by Piscataqua District at the Colony Hotel, Kennebunkport, May 31-June 2. Workshops included bird tagging, yoga, tidal pool explorations, hypertufa troughs, and mini evergreen container planting. Programs included Mort Mather, a self-taught organic gardener, and Bill Graham, designer. Achievements include: 257 flowering trees were reported planted by clubs, and 45 gardens at historic locations have been restored and are maintained by clubs. Each of the 51 clubs reported numerous civic projects throughout the year. Approximately $15,000 is awarded annually through scholarships from the GCFM and local clubs. Through the President’s Project, clubs have had programs by local land trusts, clubs and members are making financial donations, and many clubs and members are donating their time and talents. Camden Garden Club had a fundraiser for their local land trust that raised $6500. NGC Awards: Our 2004 state scholarship winner went on to be awarded an NGC scholarship. Cape Elizabeth Garden Club received $2500 and Bar Harbor Garden Club received $500 for their Historic Gardens Projects. 2004 NER Awards: Publicity Press Books--Camden Garden Club, Kennebec Valley Garden Club; Mildred Black Pettit Award for increased membership—GCFM; Helen Hussey Champlin Bowl for largest number of new members—GCFM; Nancy Atwell Trophy--Mt. Blue Garden Club; Smokey Bear Award for grade 2--Seacoast Garden Club (Kate Bleier); Jacob Hastings of Mt. Blue Garden Club received special recognition for his presentation on hybridizing daylilies on an episode of the Dirt Gardener TV Show; Award of Honor--Mrs. Charles McMichael (Boothbay Harbor Garden Club); Mary Stone Garden Therapy Award--Waterville Community Garden Club.